This is Scientifically the Most Feel-Good Song Ever Written

British electronics manufacturer, Alba, surveyed 2,000 UK adults about what their favorite feel-good songs were. Now using science to figure out something as subjective as a “feel-good” song can be tricky, but it doesn’t mean it can’t be done!

Out of the survey came songs like ABBA’s Dancing Queen, The Beach Boys’ Good Vibrations and Billy Joel’s Uptown Girl, but the top song wasn’t Pharrell’s Happy. Its actually from the band Queen and it was one of their hits from 1979Don’t Stop Me Now.

You weren’t expecting that I bet.

Remember though that the study was conducted in the UK and the Queen chart topping hit was at least in the top 10, unlike the US where it just broke the top 100. This doesn’t stop it though from still being an awesome song. The song with a positive message and a cheery Broadwayish feel, has over 100 million views on YouTube and counting!

A Cognitive Neuroscienist, Dr. Jacob Jolij, analyzed the results and said there were three important key factors that made it a “feel-good” song: “Songs written in a major key, with a fast tempo are best at inducing positive emotions. ” wrote Dr. Jolij in an email to the Huffington Post. According to Dr. Jolij “virtually all ‘feel good’ songs were in major key (save one or two), and all of them were at least 10BPM faster than the average pop song.”

So there you have it scientifically what makes these songs make you feel so very good.

28 Comments

1. We are the champions is really good too!!

2. I disagree, the Song “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah” from the movie “Song of the South” has been around for over 68 years, lifting the spirits of untold number of people. How can one not get hooked on the lyrics,”ZipZip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
    Zip-A-Dee-A

Everything is satisfactual

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
    Zip-A-Dee-A
    Wonderful feeling
    Wonderful day

3. Christopher van Hooser says:

I now associat this song with beating zombies to death LoL

4. For what the song sounds like, sure there are a few short parts that sound good, but overall it’s the worst song queen ever did. It sucks.

5. How about Bobby McFerrin, with “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”?

6. Bonnie Stuntebeck says:

Pilade
    ”Mule Skinner Blues”
    ITunes

Try it, You Will Like it, Promise!

7. Why wasn’t the song named? Is it “We Will Rock You”? That’s my best guess.

8. Detroit Rock City. We’re an American Band; Grand Funk. Jump; Van Halen. Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo; Rick Derringer. Get Up and Enjoy Yourself; Head East. Jessica; Allman Brothers (instrumental). Classical Gas; Mason Williams (instrumental).

9. I hope I word this correctly! SOULSHINE, IS BETTER THAN SUNSHINE, BETTER THAN MOONSHINE AND A WHOLE LOT BETTER, THAN DAMN RAIN 🙂

10. BEAST OF BURDEN, ROLLING STONES, brings back good 70’s memories and makes me happy on anyday 🙂

11. Please tell me what the song IS!!!!

12. Kansas: Carry On My Wayward Son got me thru my time serving overseas.

13. Never heard this song before and I don’t see that it’s a feel good song. Pharrell Williams’
    “Happy” would be my choice. And the Oscar Meyer wiener song would be a close second.

14. Wonder what audience was polled for that absurd conclusion. smh… like a prior post said, during that era, Bobbie McFerren #DontWorryBeHappy had the uplifting affect that Ferrell’s #Happy did recently. #Summertime by the Fresh Prince aka Will Smith

15. You’ve got to be kidding, right?

16. David DeWitt says:

Who gives the authority to judge what song of all songs are suited? There is one song that can open eturnity for the right souls. Mentioned in the Bible’s Revelations as the Song of Moses but who is intelligent enough to get that? Check the song of Moses at circleofelohim.com then tell everyone about it.

17. For feel-good songs I like “Steppin’ Out” by Joe Jackson and “Walking On The Moon” by The Police.

18. Curtis A Hussey says:

ELO. Mr Blue Sky…..

19. Johny Carson says:

Cum+stains+on+my+pillow+(where+she+used+to+lay+her+head)+by:+David+Allen+Coe…++Another+uplifting+song+that+me+smile+all+day…

20. William Katchmar says:

“Getting+Better”+++++++The+Beatles

21. “I Can See Clearly Now” by Johnny Nash…

22. Inna Gadda Da Vita by Iron Butterfly
    Can bring the Dead back to Life

23. I wanna reach up and touch the sky says:

Supernaut. Most headbanging feelgood song ever.

24. Andrea Belletti says:

Major key and fast tempo… what’s the third element?

25. Kerri Michelle says: