Antibacterial Products Indicate Dangerous Consequences

Over the years, our fears of germs have led us to include “antibacterial” properties in our soaps. Unfortunately, common consumer never takes the time to research the ingredients in the products they buy. This gives way to many companies to include chemicals in their products that either they themselves do not know the side effects of; antibacterial items being one category of such products.

Triclosan is the key ingredient that needs to be discussed. Triclosan is the active ingredient in antibacterial products that has shown to cause hormonal changes, endocrine and immune system problems, and even sterility. So how did Triclosan manage to stay on shelves?

Triclosan was first introduced in hospitals in early 1970s and since FDA wasn’t instituted till 1980’s many items that came before then were never vigorously tested and thus it continued to be considered safe.

In fact, the issue of Triclosan’s negative properties arose due to the concerns of chemicals brought up by consumer groups. Sadly, a huge list of chemicals and parabens (that have not been tested for complications that may arise from long term use) continue to make contact with our skin and we do nothing but play the role of test subjects; until of course the experiment goes severely wrong.

The effects of Triclosan has significantly stifled Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton who has decided to ban all items containing Triclosan by 2017.

Another issue that arises from constant usage of antibacterial products is the creation of stronger bacteria; since the product claims to remove 99% of the bacteria, the other immune 1% gives way to bacteria with stronger immunity. This cycle can eventually lead to certain strains of bacteria that may not be penetrable with the solutions we have leading to harsh illness.

The effects of using an antibacterial soap can be easily achieved by simply washing your hands under warm water for twenty seconds with normal soap so substituting most antibacterial products should not be a hassle. Here: is a list of items containing Triclosan; this is not a complete list however it should help you get started.

We hope that all companies that use chemicals in their products conduct extensive long term research of their ingredients before “Okaying” for public use.

Has this story convinced you to not use antibacterial products? Let us know with a comment below!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you are human by solving the phrase below.